ACC.23/WCC - We are joined by Dr Paul Ridker (Brigham and Women’s Hospital, US) to discuss the findings from a collaborative analysis of 31,197 patients to assess inflammatory risk in statin-treated patients. The PROMINENT, REDUCE-IT and STRENGTH trials were each large contemporary trials which implemented guideline-directed medical therapy, the findings of which were pooled in this study. The aim of this study was to investigate the predictor of future cardiovascular events, cardiovascular deaths, and all-cause mortality.
Results suggest a small gradient of risk with LDL cholesterol but are higher in patients with elevated high-sensitivity C-reactive protein.
- What is the reasoning behind this study?
- What was the patient population and study design?
- What are the main findings?
- How should these findings impact clinical practice and patient outcomes?
- What are the knowledge gaps, and what further study is required?
Recorded on-site at ACC 2023, New Orleans.